Anyone traveling with their Potbelly Pig, be sure to have the following:
1. Current Health Certificate, (They are still considered livestock) Port of Entry’s are required.
2. Emergency contact sheet for the following:
In case of Accident and owner is not able to communicate a card with the following information:
1. My name
2. My emergency contact number
3. My Veterinarian. name, number and emergency number
4. Am I social? (Being scared and strangers they may not act social)
5. My starting point and my destination
6. AND MOST OF ALL, IF MY OWNER IS SERIOUSLY INJURED AND UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE, AND I AM INJURED AS WELL, PLEASE CONTACT THE NEAREST VETERINARIAN FOR ASSISTANCE.
3. CARRY LOTS OF VEGETABLES, FRESH FRUIT, CRACKERS AND MOST OF ALL LIQUIDS.. WATER, GATOR ADE YOGURT BANANA’S
4. IF TRAVELING IN UN-NORMAL ALTITUDES, IF POSSIBLE CARRY A SMALL HUMAN OXYGEN BOTTLE. (THESE CAN BE PURCHASED AT MOST PHARMACY STORES. SEVERAL SQUIRTS TO THE NOSE OR MOUTH, MAY SAVE YOUR PET.
5. HEAT WHILE TRAVELING SUMMER HEAT CAN KILL A BABY OR FULL GROWN POTBELLY IN LESS THAN 30 MINUTES IN HEAT IN EXCESS OF 80 DEGREES… THEY HAVE NO SWEAT GLANDS..
LAST, BUT MOST IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PET IS RESTRAINED, EITHER BY HARNESS OR CARRIER..
THEY ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS YOUR CHILDREN
HAVE A SAFE AND UNEVENTFUL TRIP